Thursday, May 29, 2008

Kennesaw teen killed 2 days after graduation - beginning of a tour



Courtney E. Stroud, 17, is remembered for her whole-hearted embrace of life

The phenomenon of the small informal shrines has been growing over my lifetime. I don't remember it 5 decades ago. Now it is common enough that state governments have policies on the placement and removal of the shrines.

These stories grab at me. The high school she attended is close to my house. The memorial to her is in the area.

In the media they say "if it bleeds, it leads." These things attract attention, sell newspapers, air time, ... The commerce of violence.

I am blogging this to try to explain why and how this violence affects me. It isn't just the news coverage, or the memorials by the side of the road.

link to The tour - part 2 revised

link to more on signs

No comments: